Sunday, March 03, 2013

Papery Poppies

I needed some red after all the yellow daffodils, so back to poppies!  When I started I intended to only paint a few poppies and leave the background white, but it evolved and turned into a small, square wildflower meadow with an out of focus background.  I'm really happy with how the poppies turned out, especially the focal poppy.  I think the secret of papery petals is lots of water and careful brushstrokes, keeping washes fluid and light.

©Ruth S Harris - Poppy Meadow - Watercolour, 7.25" x 7.5"


3 comments:

Lorraine Brown said...

You have the transparency of the flower petals captured beautifully

Ruth Harris said...

Thank you Lorraine :)

Caro said...

Beautiful!!
Ich finde diese Mohnblumen einfach phantastisch, so schön zart und natürlich.