On these long, dull, cold winter days I look for something to cheer me up, and that usually means painting a bright flower. This time it's a sunflower, from one of my own reference images.
I started out by sketching the outline then masking a few highlights. Once the masking fluid was completely dry I quickly wet the paper using a large brush - doing it quickly leaves a few dry areas which will stay white when pigment is added.
Here it is after the first pass - Azo yellow and gamboge wet in wet.
Now the individual petals need form, more wet in wet but one at a time, using azo yellow, gamboge and quinacridone coral.
I'm excited about this one, but life always gets in the way so this is all I've managed to do today - very frustrating!